Sunday, April 26, 2009

BEA ARTHUR - YOU'LL ALWAYS BE MY GOLDEN GIRL

On Saturday April 25, 2009 the world learned the sad news that one of the most beloved actresses of our time had passed away.

Beatrice Arthur, born May 13, 1922, won fame and attention with her performances on TV staples such as the 'The Sid Caesar Show', from various performances on Broadway, from her acclaimed roles on 'All in the Family' and 'Maude', and lastly - and for me - more importantly - as Dorothy on hit series 'The Golden Girls'.

A tall girl with a deep voice, Bea Arthur beat the odds to be become a success in Hollywood...becoming a respected and beloved artiste who performed with icons such as Lucille Ball.

My first awareness of Bea Arthur was in her ground-breaking role in the sitcom 'Maude'...I stayed up late at night in the '70s to watch her show that was controversial for it's time for the topics covered. I laughed and cried with Maude, and then later laughed some more with Dorothy as Bea lent her talents and skills to making all these characters come alive.

Bea Arthur - my inspiration, my youthful pleasure, my secret idol - thank YOU for being a friend.


No comments:

STATCOUNTER


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger