Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just WHAT is in the Obama Kool-Aid?

(Earlier this afternoon, during the first episode of Star Trek: Voyager on Spike TV)

*knock knock*

(Frantic scampering and barking by the furry roommate)

I got up from my prone position on the couch, grabbed the manic mutt barking furiously by the front door and locked him in the bathroom.

I peeked through the peephole before opening and was not surprised to see a young girl, around 13 years old, standing at my front door, arms akimbo.

“Yes,” I asked, expecting a question about my furry roommate (who fascinated young children) or fund-raising candies being hawked.

“Why are you voting for Hilary Clinton?”

I was taken aback. I knew she was referring to my bumper sticker boldly posted in my bedroom window declaring in vain – HILARY FOR PRESIDENT – but for someone to knock on my door and ask could be interpreted as an invasion of privacy…or a chance to find out first hand information from a young Obama supporter.

I decided to go for the latter. “I LIKE Clinton – why do you ask?”

“Well, you need to vote for Obama and not Clinton…”

I was a bit concerned at the blind zeal with which that statement was delivered but responded in a neutral manner. “Well, if and when he is formally made the candidate, THEN I will support him in November, but let me ask you something – why don’t you like Clinton?”

The young girl made a face and began to walk away while answering, “Ugh! I just…..ugh!” She made a gesture of frustration with both hand, pretending to strangle someone. “I just can’t STAND her…”

“Why not?” I called out after her.

“You just need to vote for Obama, okay?” came the reply as she dragged her companion (who wanted me to bring out my furry roommate). She gave me a last disapproving look as if she gave an ultimatum before leaving toward the far end of the complex.

“I will,” I repeated firmly but friendly, “when he is made the official candidate.” I waved a friendly goodbye.

As I closed the door I thought, “just what the hell IS in the Obama Kool-Aid his supporters drink?”

No comments:

STATCOUNTER


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger