Saturday, August 30, 2008

OUT OF CURIOSITY I VISITED A FEW REPUBLICAN BLOGSITES....I NOW FEEL SO UNCLEAN AND TAINTED..

After the surprise announcement yesterday of Alaska governor Sarah Palin being selected as John McCain's running mate in the gubernational election (to be addressed in another posting), I decided to spend time on the internet reading the reaction of both sides to the announcement.

I visited my usual fare - Towleroad - and read the comments made by readers on the announcement. (Click here to indulge - they're actually funny as well as insightful.) The opinionated queens were out in full force spewing catty remarks by the ton. My overall impression (when you got past the name-calling; these queens crack me up) was that although they think it was a bold move by McCain, it will eventually backfire on him. The other most expressed emotion was....fear, fear that if McSame does win this election (God/Allah/Yahweh/Buddah/Krishna forbid!) it will set back the GLBT movement by 100 years - a feeling I also echo.

After an overdose of far-left Democratic views and commentary I decided to take a "fair and balanced" approach...and visit the far right-side of the political world. Taking a very, very, VERY deep breath I typed in the url www.foxnews.com and hit ENTER.

The first few minutes of browsing the website of the 'unofficial" mouthpiece of the Republican party was not as nauseating as I thought it would be; they even seem to have more stories about the DNC convention than on the selection of Palin as VP for the GOP ticket. (I still, however, have a fear that my short visit was noted and that somewhere on my lap top's hard-drive lurks spyware that was covertly added.)

"Hmmm," I thought to myself, "I wonder what the chatter is about in the blogs of Republicans..."

And with that thought I Googled 'republican blogs' and went a little sight-seeing.

Ten minutes later I was reeling from the hate and venom from a particular website that extolled the view of "Why I Won't Vote for a N**er", on top of the previous blog site that began with Bible-thumping reasons why Palin was a great choice.

I quickly closed my browser hoping to erase what I just experienced, and decided my brief foray in to Republicanland was the most time I'll ever want to spend in that depraved environment.

I felt as if I had taken a roll in the mud of prejudice and ignorance.

Then it hit me - if America could be duped into voting Bush in for a second term, what is stopping them from making a second terrible mistake and voting in an rich, hot-headed aging senator and a greenhorn former beauty queen/anti-feminist/anti- GLBT?

My nausea just returned...

No comments:

STATCOUNTER


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger