Friday, May 22, 2009

A LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA

President Obama,

I must admit that lately I am disappointed with the direction your administration seems to be taking. Your recent stance on issues such as Don't Ask Don't Tell, not prosecuting those who authorized the use of torture and your now awkward plans regarding the closing of Guantanamo Bay is troubling. What began as a spectacular start to your presidency is quickly morphing into slick political maneuvering for what I see as either calculated approaches to policy to ensure either another term in office, or delivery of more seats in Congress to the Democratic Party in next year’s mid-term elections.

With regards to social issues – instead of channeling the strengths of notable leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi or Marcus Garvey, you seem to be embracing the weaknesses of the George W. Bush administration.

I am absolutely horrified by your speech yesterday that put forth the notion of ‘prolonged detention’ whereas persons deemed - even remotely - as possible threats to national security without actual cause, grievances or previous actions may be detained indefinitely. To me that translates to mean that if someone in authority doesn’t agree with my views or something I say - that they can put me behind bars for an unlimited time under the ruse of being a ‘possible threat’.

UNACCEPTABLE.

Where is the “Change We Need” that you promised?

I think you need to re-read your own book ‘The Audacity of Hope’ to remind yourself of your previously untainted thoughts prior to your appointment to the White House.
Because lately it seems that your administration is touting ‘The Audacity of Hype”.

PLEASE NOTE: members of the GLBT community are NOT second class citizens and should be afforded equal rights – if you can not repeal ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ at least issue an executive order to halt enforcement of that insidious law.

My faith in you is rapidly diminishing – can you make me a believer again?

(You may submit your own comments to the White House at http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/)

No comments:

STATCOUNTER


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger