Sunday, July 27, 2008

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTMONT FRONT

Not much happened this week - busy at school and getting ready for August.

My field reporter in Plainfield advised today that she saw a report on the telly last week that explained the reason for the strong skunk smells I mentioned.

According to reports the skunk population was drastically diminished in the early '90s due to an outbreak of rabies. It seems that the population is beginning to grow again, with a jump in numbers up nearly 17% - based on roadkill count.


Contrary to popular belief skunks do NOT spray their trade-mark "musk" willy-nilly, but prefer to use it only as a method of last resort. The recent "rise" in musk odor is attributed to the larger-than-normal road-kills of the poor near-sighted buggers in the areas of (as fate would have it) Lombard, Darien, Downers Grove, WESTMONT and Willowbrook.

Well, that noxious little mystery solved, but it does not help me when I sleep with the windows open! Last Thursday night/early Friday morning the stench was so bad I woke from my slumber thinking that a damn skunk had compromised my patio screen and was riffling through my garbage!!

Oh well, that's life in the 'burbs!!!

No comments:

STATCOUNTER


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger