Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A GOLDEN GIRL LEAVES US WITH GOLDEN MEMORIES

Today, Estelle Getty - "Sophia" of 'Golden Girls' fame - died after a long battle with illness. She was 84 years old.

Although she was an accomplished actress who was a regular on Broadway (she played Harvey Fierstein's mother in the Broadway production of "Torch Song Trilogy"), she is best remembered for her portrayal on GG as the feisty mother with uncensored comments.

The show has been a staple of my life and continues to make me laugh, even though I've seen very single episode 16 million times. The impact on my life as a recurring member of 'Golden Girls' is really best summed up by the lyrics of the show's theme song:

Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true your a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you ever knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say thank you for being a friend.

Shady Pines, Ma, Shady Pines.....






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Estelle really made the show. No one was funnier than Sophia, and Estelle brought more life and ingenuity to that character than anyone could have imagined! She will be so greatly missed. Thank you so much Miss Getty for making me laugh with my daughters each morning.

STATCOUNTER


View My Stats
Powered By Blogger